Shrimp in Coconut Peanut Butter Sauce
I am all for a restful Sunday with simple cooking like Shrimp in Coconut Peanut Butter Sauce with rice. Well this is the feeling until it’s late evening and the thought of waking up early on Monday hits you. Rustling up interesting but simple dishes using ingredients bought from neighbourhood stores is what I am up to today. I will always have peanut butter at home so making a dish like this only requires my buying the shrimp and maybe coconut cream if I have run out in the pantry.
I guess if you have been following my blog for some time you know I love chilli pepper. So this dish is one of such that I use a lot of chilli but you can reduce your intensity. Usually when a dish is on the sweet side I add a little more pepper than normal. In the case of my Shrimp in Coconut Peanut Butter Sauce, the sweetness is coming from the shrimp, coconut cream and the groundnut. Squeezing some lemon in the final dish also helps to reduce the sweetness.
The mix of flavours of coconut, groundnut/peanut and a bit of ginger in this dish is so amazing. So no more long talk, let’s get started.
Recipe for making Shrimp in Coconut Peanut Butter Sauce
20 pieces fresh Shrimps or Prawns
1 cup coconut cream (from can)
11/2 tablespoons Peanut Butter
1/2 teaspoon Ginger paste
Little finger size fresh Ginger sliced
1/4 Onion sliced
Green and Red Indian Pepper (optional)
Pinch dry pepper
Chicken seasoning cube
2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
4-6 table spoon water
Salt to taste
Method for making Shrimp in Coconut Peanut Butter Sauce.
1. Dress shrimps and season with salt, minced ginger and 1/2 cube of chicken seasoning.
2. Measure coconut cream into a pot, add the peanut butter, 4-6 tablespoons of water, dry pepper ,seasoning and salt to taste
3. Bring sauce to a simmer to dissolve the peanut butter well and cook the pepper and seasoning a bit for about 2 minutes. You have to stir consistently. Set aside for adding to the shrimp later.
4. Heat up the oil, fry the onion and ginger slices for 1 minutes. Add the shrimp and stir fry for 3 minutes or so. I actually usually toss the pan so as nut to bruise the shrimp.
5. Add the sauce to the shrimp, add the red and green peppers or your regular Scotch , low the heat and cook for about 5 minutes
6. Serve with Savory Rice or plain white rice with lemon slices