I am in search of more variety to add to my small chop basket and Pop Corn Chicken fits the bill. I had asked my daughter Afrolems for the recipe having seen her make it before. It was to host some members of my church at home and this small chop had to be on the menu. This was not a puff puff type gathering :). I was quite pleased when my Pop Corn Chicken vanished as soon as the grace was said. A sure sign that you have a winner. And in addition people were asking for the recipe and the dip.
Preparing everything the day before and refridgerating made it so easy to serve up quickly. What I did extra was to bake the pop corn for about 10 minutes to ensure the egg is cooked. My twist to this recipe was the addition of parsley. And the baking before frying which gives a crispier pop corn
Recipe for making Pop Corn Chicken
Whole Chicken breast
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 medium size Onion
Scotch Bonnet Pepper ( to taste)
1/2 teaspoon minced Garlic
Chicken Seasoning to taste
1 tablespoon Parsley( chopped)
Oil for frying
- Cut chicken into small pieces, season with pepper, rosemary, onion, garlic and cook till soft and water dries up
- Allow chicken to cool and blend into a mince, like coarse bread crumbs
- Add parsley, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, egg and mix well
- Mold the mixture into small balls. It does not have to be a perfect shape
- Sprinkle the remaining bread crumbs onto a baking tray or flat pan.
- Drop the pop corn balls into the the tray and shake the tray to help roll the balls and coat with the bread crumbs
- Heat oil and fry till golden brown. I opted to bake first then fry. Baking gives me more crispy pop corn
- Serve with mayonnaise/ketchup dip. To make the dip mix 2 parts mayonnaise to 1 part ketchup. You may wish to add a dash of chilli to the dip.