Pizza Puff is one of my new favourite creations in the Nigerian culinary list. The first time I tried Pizza Puff, I had tomato and chicken topping. The tomato did leave a bit of moisture but not bad at all. So lessons learnt, I am sticking to semi dry ingredients to retain crispness in the pizza puff. Today it is minced meat and some sun-dried peppers. I must say the outcome of this recipe was even much more outstanding than the first. The learnings from the first attempt of my Pizza Puff recipe is the use of parchment paper to prevent the dough from sticking to the base of the pan. The pizza puff dough comes off the baking sheet easily. Some other learning on my Pizza Puff journey is the use of ingredients that will not release water onto the dough.
The use of puff puff dough has cut out the step of rolling out the pizza dough besides I get to feel like I am eating puff puff And pizza all at ones. the crispy edges of the dough coupled with the slight sweet dough makes it all the more interesting. Making this pizza puff with minced meat topping at home just brings the yummy aroma of baked produce drifting through the house. I advise you bake at least 2 medium sizes as the triangles will disappear in a flash. Enjoy!
How to make Pizza Puff with Minced Meat Topping
1 cup Flour
1/2 teaspoon Yeast
3/4 cup tepid warm Water
1/2 teaspoon ground dry Pepper
A few pieces chopped sundries Scotch Bonnet Peppers and Tatashe
1/4 Onion , sliced
1/4 teaspoon Thyme
1/2 cup cooked Minced Meat
2 cooking spoons Tomato/ Pepper mix
1. Measure out all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well
2. Add the warm tepid water, mix into a paste and cover bowl with kitchen napkin. Leave paste to rise in a warm place for about 40 minutes.
3. Line baking tray with grease proof or parchment paper. Rub very little oil on the paper
4. Whilst puff puff paste is rising mix the minced meat with 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, beef seasoning , pinch thyme, dry pepper and a little salt. Mix well and set aside to marinade for about 20 minutes.
5. Add very little in a frying pan and fry the onion till soft, take out and set aside.
6. Add the minced meat to the pan and using the spoon, continually separate the mince so it does not stick together. Usually the meat may release more oil so keep the initial frying oil very small. When meat is half cooked take out and set aside.
7. Using the left over oil in the pan cook some tomato and pepper mix for use on the dough. You can make this mix as hot as you want.
8. When the puff puff pastry is ready, pour into the baking tray and spread well to cover that pan evenly. Spread the tomato/ pepper sauce on top of the dough.
9. Spread the minced meat, onion and dry pepper over the dough.
10. Bake in the oven for about 22-25 minutes.
11. Drizzle some olive oil on the pizza puff and enjoy hot.